A blog about cars in Aberdeen.

This is a blog about cars in Aberdeen because most people aspire to the convenience of personal motor transport, pay dearly for the privilege, provide much employment, contribute greatly in taxes, and then people expect them to ‘leave the car at home’, while their money is spent creating cycle lanes and the like for freeloading cyclists.

Wednesday, 26 January 2011

PaveParker of the Week! SV02WLE

Congratulations to this week's PaveParker of the Week, who is sending out All The Right Messages.

Yes indeed, Aberdeen's Seafield Road has excessively wide pavements, far and away out of proportion with the number of pestestrians who use them. Taking unilateral action, the driver of Aberdeen Car Renault Megane Sceanic Special (oooh!) EDS 1.6 Fidji (oooh!?) reg. SV02WLE, has annexed a good 60% of the width of the footway, leaving a generous 40% for use by pestestrians.

We were concerned that this is a higher proportion than the amount of regard which the drivers of Aberdeen cars generally assign to these people. So what's going on, is the driver of this Aberdeen Car some sort of pestestrian lover?

But then we worked it out... The last thing the driver of an Aberdeen Car would ever do is deprive other motorists of space on the carriageway, that would impede traffic flow. And the location where this driver needed to park has a texturecrete cycle lane, so - what to do?

  • Full PaveParking would allow the cyclits to proceed unimpeded on their "special lane" which we paid for! 
  • Using the cycle lane as a parking lane (as elsewhere) would leave the pavement un-used by a car. Un-ac-ceptable! 

So, the driver of this Aberdeen Car has made the best choice possible - a choice which does not impede motorists (and so will not jeopardise Aberdeen's position as THE key city to power the economic recovery, helping the UK climb out of recession.) At the same time, this choice encourages both pestestrians and cyclits to give up on their showoff transport modes and join in with the vast majority of ordinary people. "The nail head which stands out will be hammered down."

It is worthy of special comment that the driver of this Aberdeen Car has rendered the cycle lane unusable at this location. It has only been a few days since we called for a total ban on cycling in Aberdeen "City and Shire" during the winter months, so we're delighted that our activism is already leading to "facts on the ground".

Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment